Give Your Trees a Check-up!
Standard home insurance typically covers tree damage to your house, fence, and other structures. It may even cover tree removal services, depending on how your policy is written. However, your insurer may deny coverage for damage due to poor maintenance or negligence. It’s a good idea to discuss your home insurance policy and check whether you are insured for tree damage. When it comes to maintaining safe, healthy trees, you can turn to Coastal Tree Care to give your trees a check-up.
Perform a DIY Check-Up
Whether you have tree damage coverage in your home insurance policy or not, you can benefit from a quick DIY inspection of the trees on your property. Follow these tips and give your trees a check-up!
- Foliage Density: Compare two trees and you may find that much more sky shows through one than another. Healthy trees often have full foliage and less sky showing between the branches.
- Dead Limbs: Some dead limbs are normal, particularly on the bottom branches that may receive less sunlight. If a dead limb appears at the top of the canopy, it may indicate a problem.
- Broken Limbs: When trees suffer structural damage such as broken limbs, it’s important to prune judiciously and remove dead and dying branches. Otherwise, the limb could fall, causing further damage or injuring those passing underneath.
- Trunk Injuries: Sometimes, gashes, cracks, and other damage to the trunk occurs that won’t heal. Our certified arborists can help you determine whether to remove it.
- Fungi: Fungus growing at the base of the tree often indicates root decay. We can provide soil treatment for proper drainage.
- Cavities: Some trees get cavities. That’s bad news for your tree, especially if it’s surrounded by peeling bark and decay, or birds and other animals have moved in. These signs may indicate a hollowed-out area that threatens the structural integrity of the tree.
- V-Shaped Primary Branches: If the main branches form a U rather than a V shape, they pose less of a risk. V-shaped branches are more likely to crack and break off.
Coastal Tree Care provides comprehensive tree care services, including stump grinding and removal. Let us help you avoid an insurance claim denial with proper care and maintenance.
Are you insured for tree damage? Give your trees a check-up! Call your insurance agent then call Coastal Tree Care to remedy any risky tree conditions. Our service areas include San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, and Pacific Beach.
Contact us online to schedule a consultation for tree care services.