Defend Your Palms from the Pest of the Month – Palm Beetle
Expert Advice from ISA-Certified Arborists in the San Diego Area
Our feature this month is on the palm beetle, also known as the Red Palm Weevil or Palm Borer. This is an invasive pest that does not spare even the healthiest of palms. A palm beetle infestation can spell disaster for your San Diego area property. Coastal Tree Care’s ISA-certified arborists offer useful insights to help you watch for signs of an infestation.
Beware of the Palm Beetle, Keep Your Palms Safe
Unless you have a trained eye for tree pests, it is virtually impossible to detect the early stages of a beetle infestation.
- The palm borer or palm beetle is typically 2-inches long and bores nickel-sized holes to feed on the wood of your palm trees.
- The larvae can spend as many as 3 to 10 years simply chewing inch-wide tunnels through the inside of the tree trunk.
- The female lays about 200–300 eggs in the crown of the palm. At the larvae stage, the palm beetles bore into the palms and feed on the soft, succulent tissues and bud terminals of the trees.
- Typical symptoms include drooping, wilting, or yellowing of the fronds. The top of the tree gradually dies, and the trunk buckles due to the tunnels dug by borers. Stressed palms also attract borers.
- Unfortunately, there is no fix for a palm beetle infestation. If the palms on your property fall prey to this borer, you will need an expert tree removal service to properly remove the affected trees and protect the rest of your palms.
- The best way to help your trees resist palm beetle attacks is to ensure adequate water and nutrition, along with specialized palm tree pruning and timely tree pest control.
Expert Arbor Care for Your Palms and Other Trees
At Coastal Tree Care, we offer reliable and cost-efficient arbor care to protect the beautiful palms on your property. Our ISA-certified professionals provide year-round tree care, including specialized pruning, timely treatments and applications, and prompt emergency tree services. We have decades of experience in accurately identifying and treating different types of tree pests and diseases.
We are a licensed, bonded, and fully insured tree services company, certified by the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA). Our customized tree wellness plans address a wide range of arbor care requirements of residential and commercial properties throughout the San Diego area.
Hire the experts at Costal Tree Care to safeguard your palms from the palm beetle. Call 619-847-4225 or contact us online to learn more about our comprehensive range of palm tree services in the San Diego area.