Refer to the City’s Selection Guide to Choose the Best Trees
The near-perfect year-round weather in San Diego enables the city’s lush greenery. What also plays a huge role is professional planting and care by trained arborists. To assist businesses and municipal bodies, the city publishes guidelines that protect native species and ensure public safety. Refer to the City of San Diego’s Street Tree Selection Guide to help you choose trees that comply with city requirements.
When selecting street trees, you want to maximize the benefits of cool shade, beauty, variety, ability to prevent soil erosion and water runoff, and of course, boost the overall appeal and value of your San Diego area property. The licensed arborists at Coastal Tree Care know the city’s selection guide thoroughly and how to apply it for the benefit of your green spaces. You can also rely on us to plant, maintain, trim, and remove trees along the street or anywhere on your commercial or municipal property.
What You Should Know About San Diego Street Tree Selection
The city’s guide contains information about many tree species and identifies specific trees that do well along the coast. It also contains other helpful information, such as the following:
- Permitting process. To plant street trees, you typically need a No Fee Street Tree Permit.
- Neighborhoods with Master Street Tree Plans. Not all San Diego communities have a Master Street Tree Plan. However, if your neighborhood has one, you must follow it.
- Deciding between palm trees versus shade trees. Although palm trees line coastal city streets across California, there are strict rules about when and where you can plant them. For example, when your community plan includes palm trees, you must plant more of them to provide greater shade. City officials recommend canopy trees that provide more shade and have other benefits such as, helping to reduce heat, offering a habitat for birds and other fauna, minimizing storm water runoff, filtering pollution and reducing smog by generating more oxygen, and adding tremendous visual appeal to an urban landscape.
- Native Trees. The city encourages businesses to plant native trees where conditions allow them to thrive.
- Determining what a tree will look like. Visit SelecTree to view photos of approved trees. Need help choosing the right tree? The knowledgeable team at Coastal Tree Care can assist you with selecting street trees in San Diego that comply with your neighborhood’s rules, look great, and will thrive on your property. You can also browse through the trees of San Diego for information on various tree species.
If you would like to plant a street tree that’s not on the approved list, it requires written approval from the City of San Diego. Send an email to email@example.com for the fastest response.
Coastal Tree Care provides a range of tree care services to clients in San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, and Rancho Santa Fe. We stay up to date on approved trees in San Diego neighborhoods in order to help the city maintain its vitality and beauty.
Consult Coastal Tree Care for assistance with selecting street trees in San Diego. Call 619-847-4225 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.