It Helps Promote Tree Growth and Health
Californians are always looking for ways to institute drought management strategies. One effective way to maximize moisture during the dry season and year-round, is by using properly placed, good quality mulch. Adding a layer of mulch also protects roots from animals, mowers, and other forms of environmental damage. Our professional landscapers at Coastal Tree Care can explain why you should use mulch around your trees. We will also recommend the right mulch for your property in San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, and Pacific Beach.
What Happens if I Don’t Use Mulch?
If you choose not to use mulch around your trees, you leave them vulnerable to common, but avoidable problems, including the following:
- Weeds: Mulch helps to suppress weeds that can otherwise grow around the base of your trees.
- Slows root growth: Tree roots compete with grass and other plants for nutrients in water. Without mulch, tree roots have a tougher time getting the nutrition and hydration they need.
- Pest problems: Dehydrated roots lead to a dehydrated tree that’s more vulnerable to pest infestation and disease.
While using mulch may not protect your trees from every danger, it acts as a shield for roots and retains moisture vital to your trees’ health. Schedule regular tree surveys performed by ISA-Certified arborists who will provide recommendations on treatment and tree wellness plans for diseased or pest-infested trees. They may also suggest timely removal of dead or dangerous trees.
Benefits of Mulch Around Your Trees
Mulch helps the soil around your trees accumulate nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and other nutrients. Adding a thick layer of mulch provides more nutrients for the root system to soak up. However, you must be careful not to lay down too much mulch. We typically prefer a bed two to three inches deep to give our customers the best results.
Here are a few other benefits of placing mulch around your trees:
- Aesthetic landscaping: A freshly edged mulch ring adds curb appeal to your property. Create a manicured look that increases the value of your home.
- Easier maintenance: Adding a layer of mulch around the tree facilitates mowing around the ring. Avoid nicking trees or roots or running over young trees with a definitive circle of mulch.
- Maintain ground temperature: Insulate your trees and keep the soil warmer in winter and cooler in summer with a layer of mulch. Coarser, organic mulch better protects your trees year-round compared to processed mulches made of plastic or fabric.
More Reasons to Mulch Your Trees
Some other benefits of mulching, according to the USDA, include:
- Reduces erosion
- Decreases soil compaction
- Conserves water during irrigation
- Helps with recycling raked materials from local landscapes
- Inhibits weed growth and supports the local ecosystem
- Provides a neat, well-finished look to your landscape
Coastal Tree Care also provides complete arbor care and comprehensive arborist reports. We proudly serve customers throughout San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, and the Pacific Beach area.
Join us in recycling and helping to improve our local ecosystem in San Diego. Trust Coastal Tree Care to deliver quality mulch and maintain your trees.